Antenatal & Newborn Screening Department (ANNB Screening)
ANNB department (direct dial) telephone: 01604 545899
Fax: 01604 545895
Open Monday - Friday 08.30 - 16.30
The ANNB Department is a specialised department that offers women and their family's support through pregnancy and antenatal screening, and when a congenital or genetic condition might be suspected or diagnosed.
Support may be in terms of giving advice and/or counselling to aid decision making. It may be supporting women through diagnostic procedures for example amniocentesis, or signposting women and their families to other resources of advice and support. Often we make referrals to other hospitals that may specialise in specific conditions for further assessment.
We work closely with the Obstetric Consultants that have a special interest in Fetal Medicine and have three of these special clinics a week where we can offer prenatal diagnosis tests for example amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling, along with specialist advice, further ultrasound assessment and diagnosis.
The nature of our work also means liaising closely with departments such as ultrasound, genetics, paediatrics, community midwives and the specialist bereavement midwife.
The ANNB Department is run by Antenatal Screening Co-ordinators, whose role is to implement, oversee, and audit locally the National Screening Committees programmes in line with published working standards, along with providing education and training to all staff involved in the screening process.
We endeavour to provide support for women and their families through what can be a very stressful and traumatic time. Our aim is to make the process as smooth as possible, with choices and decisions made in line with women and their family's values and beliefs. We are available to any woman who wishes to discuss her screening options and/or results, and can be used as a resource by women and staff who wish to learn and understand more about screening in pregnancy.
- Andrea Coleman - Antenatal & Newborn Screening Co-ordinator
- Emma Perkin - Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia (Screening) Lead
- Louise Nicol - Deputy Antenatal & Newborn screening Co-ordinator
- Rachael Moss - Bereavement Support Midwife
- Rachel Surl - Bereavement Support Midwife
- Antenatal & Newborn Screening leaflets in 12 other languages are available on the Gov.uk website. Here you can also find easy read versions the booklet for people with learning disabilities as well as mp3 audio files for people with sight loss.
- NHS choices website
- NGH - Newborn Hearing Screening Programme