1936 - 2011
4th July 2011
William Barratt (of the famous Northampton shoe manufacturers) generously donated £20,000 towards the building of the Barratt Maternity Home, which was officially opened on 4th July 1936 by HRH Princess Alice of Athlone.
There were originally 34 beds for antenatal and postnatal patients, a nursery and a labour ward. The design was spacious, the quality of furnishing superior, the equipment modern and up to date in its era - Mr Barratt spared no expense.
Mr Walter Sainsbury, involved in the project of the Barratt Maternity Home, was supposed to become the first Obstetricians in charge. Unfortunately he died suddenly and therefore Mr Robert Watson was appointed to post in October 1935. With him came Sister Mary Thomas to take charge of Midwifery. Miss Eleanor Hague was appointed as Sister in Charge shortly afterwards.
Miss Hague developed Midwifery in Northampton and established a Midwifery Training School in 1938 that gained the reputation as a 'centre of excellence'.
The anniversary day will be celebrated by a special tea party for staff present and past. Special guests will included members of the Barratt family, the nephew of Eleanor Hague, the first born baby at the Barratt, Professor Cathy Warwick from the Royal College of Midwives and the Deputy Mayor of Northampton.
Click here to find out what it was like to work at the Barratt in the early days and to read more about Miss Eleanor Hague, just click here.