Choosing a nursing career in our emergency department means joining:
- a dynamic team that thrives on the challenges of caring for 300+ patients a day
- a recently-expanded department that embraces innovation and improvement
- an organisation committed to supporting your career pathway and development
We offer high levels of support and development, starting with a four-week induction programme right through your career pathway
Corporate induction programme
Everyone who joins our team benefits from our corporate induction programme. Here, you’ll learn about our values and how your role contributes to us delivering the best possible care to our patients and their families. You’ll have a number of statutory and mandatory training sessions as well as the opportunity to meet colleagues from across the organisation.
Local induction Programme
We offer a locally-devised induction programme that includes:
- your welcome pack - information booklet about NGH ED, geriatric emergency medicine induction leaflet and a nursing assessment basics booklet.
- a 4-week timetabled supernumerary period - clinically focused with orientation booklet to guide you through each clinical area of our emergency department
- a clinical skills week
- a local buddy system, our grassroots system of support in our emergency department
Newly-qualified nurses, return-to-practice nurses and overseas nurses benefit from our preceptorship programme which includes:
- allocation of a preceptor
- development of core competencies
- personalised programme of learning
- reflective practice
ED Development Programme
We’ve devised a development programme for our emergency department nurses covering skills and competencies within a set timeframe for each grade:
- ED core competencies including trauma and minor injuries, patient group directions and end-of-life care.
- a development grid to map skills and competencies over 12 month period for each grade
- our in-house study programme offering trauma, NIV, ECG, initial assessment, multi-professional simulation and band 6/7 leadership development days
- ILS, PILS, ALS, APLS, EPLS, ETC & ATNC funded places.
Learning Beyond Registration (LBR)
We have access to five major universities through the LBR contract, with courses fully funded:
- The University of Northampton
- De Montford University Leicester
- Sheffield Hallam University
- University of Derby
- University of Nottingham
When you join our team, you become part of a dynamic and progressive nursing workforce and a dedicated team of emergency nurse practitioners and advanced associate practitioners with a variety of professional backgrounds.
We work alongside a team of seven consultants, three registrars, six specialty doctors and fourteen junior doctors. There is 24-hour senior doctor cover in the department.
We have a dedicated prescribing pharmacist and we’re working with occupational therapy colleagues to strengthen their on-site presence.
We manage approximately 110,000 attendances annually with an admission rate of 25%. Paediatric patients comprise approximately a quarter of our total new attendances. In addition the department provides review clinics for emergency department attendees on weekday mornings, with input from senior medical staff, nurse practitioners and physiotherapists.
Our department has benefited from our focus on improving urgent care services, with investment to improve overall facilities; enhanced environment for treating children in the dedicated children’s emergency department; a new ambulatory care centre and a £1 million resuscitation room providing state-of-the-art care to critically unwell emergency patients. The resuscitation room includes a dedicated trauma bay as well as equipment to provide care for critically ill or injured paediatric and neonatal patients.
The department is fully computerised and linked to the hospital network. A digital radiology system is in place, electronically linked with our tertiary referral centres. We have our own ultrasound scanning machine while the main radiology department has a full complement of services to meet our needs, including plain film imaging, CTs, US, MRI and nuclear medicine.