Telephone: 01604 544511 We have an answer machine which is checked regularly
Hand Therapy Department
Northampton General Hospital
Currently patients are referred to the service by their consultant
The service runs from Mon, Tues, Thurs and Friday 08.00 - 16.00 Wednesday 8.00 - 18.00 by appointment only.
How to find us
We are on the ground floor of the hospital in area A. Next to Collingtree ward.
Click here for the hospital map
- We are a team of hand therapists with a background of Occupational Therapy or Physiotherapy.
- Two of the team are clinical specialists.
- We are supported by a Technical Instructor and Administration staff.
Treatments we offer
Assessments and treatment plans are tailored to each person according to their needs and conditions.
Your therapist may choose one, or a few, of the following treatment techniques:-
- Joint mobilisations
- Wax treatment
- Scar management
- Functional exercises
- Swelling management
- Pressure garments
- Pain management techniques
Your therapist will also provide appropriate education booklets and/ or exercise sheets tailored to your needs.
Conditions we treat
We treat a wide range of hand and wrist Injuries.
Below is a list of some of the conditions we see: -
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- < Other arthropathy (Juvenille idiopathic arthritis, Psoriatic arthritis etc.)
- Non-specific wrist pain
- Joint instability
- Tendon repairs
- Soft tissue injuries (lacerations, infections, sprains)
- Dupuytrens post-surgical release
- Nerve Injury
- Carpal tunnel syndrome (pre and post surgery)
- Cubital tunnel syndrome (pre and post surgery)
- Overuse injuries
- Work Related Upper Limb Disorder (WRULD)
- Excessive scarring (keloid, hypertrophic, includes scars anywhere on the body)
Every three months we conduct patient satisfaction surveys to find out what we are doing well and what we can improve on.