Skip to main content
Normal text size icon Increase text size by 30% icon
Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust

How to access your medical records

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) allows you to find out what information we hold about you on computer and in certain manual records. This is known as ‘right of subject access’.

How to request your records

We now have a secure electronic method for requesting records. Please have picture ID e.g. passport or driving licence and a proof of address on an official letter, ready to upload on the form. To make your request please follow the link:

Log in or sign up on the site and chose the most appropriate on-line application form.

You have a right to ask for a copy of information held about you, the main information we hold will be the medical records and radiology images (which are supplied on disc, currently). Each hospital/ GP or other health organisation holds their own records, so we do not hold all NHS records. There is further advice on the site page about requesting the records of someone you care for or for someone who has died.

If you have problem with accessing the on-line form, please give the Access Team a call on 01604 545279 or email them using the following email address:

Your Subject Access Request (SAR) will be dealt with under the terms of the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation 2016 and the Access To Health Records Act 2018.


Exceptions to access

The Trust has the right to deny access to a patient's health records if one of the following conditions apply:

  • If in the Trust's opinion, based on the assessment of the healthcare professional in charge of the care, access would disclose information likely to cause serious harm to the physical or mental health or condition of the patient or to any other person.
  • If giving access would disclose information which would identify information provided by or about a third party (this does not apply if the individual concerned has given their consent).


Access to the health / medical records of a person you care for

You can apply to access the records of your child if they are under the age of 13 years. Children of 13 years and over can request their own records or they can give consent for their parents to do so.

If you are acting on behalf of an individual who lacks capacity to make such requests themselves, you may be granted access to relevant records if you hold a power of attorney for health and welfare, or in certain circumstances for property and affairs. The application form for requesting on behalf of others is available on the link above.


Access to the health / medical records of a deceased person

Limited rights of access to the health / medical records of a deceased person are given under the Access to Health Records Act 1990. The personal representative, that is the executor or administrator of the deceased patient has a right to access records under this Act. A person who has a claim arising from a patient's death may be granted access to the records depending on the reason the records are required. To access the health / medical records of a deceased person under the Access to Health Records Act 1990, an application form must be completed and a link to the form is available here.


Accessing Health Records - Complaints and review

The Trust is committed to providing you with an efficient and courteous service with regards to accessing your records, but it is inevitable that things will go wrong occasionally. Please let us know when this happens so that we can put matters right as soon as possible. In most cases the Data Protection Officer will be able to resolve any concerns that you have at the time they arise.

For Complaints regarding the handling of Subject Access Requests please contact:

Data Protection Officer
Data Quality, Security and Protection Team
Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust
Tel: 01604 523224

Finding out more

For more information about your access to personal information and your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018, please see: The Data Protection Act

All requests for access should be made via the following link:


Back to Top