Skip to main content
Normal text size icon Increase text size by 30% icon
NGH Long NHS75 logo


Our employees are passionate about helping others – and for many, that means using their skills and experience beyond their work here. When you work for us, we’ll do our best to support your commitments outside the hospital.


Staff stories

Jon's Story


Consultant Jon's Birks was the first anaesthetist in the UK to be appointed to a pre-hospital emergency medicine (PHEM) training scheme approved by the General Medical Council.

Keen to support his passion for PHEM, we agreed a job plan with Jon that sees him split his employment, spending 75% of his work time here with us and the remaining 25% with the Emergency Medical, Retrieval and Transfer Service (EMRT) in Wales.


“I was delighted to be able to return to NGH as a consultant in 2016, having started my training here many years ago! Being the first anaesthetist to start training in a brand new sub-speciality of pre-hospital emergency medicine was always going to be a bit of a gamble and it was not clear how the job would work out.

“I’m very grateful to NGH, and all of my colleagues within the anaesthetic department, for helping me achieve my aim of having a job plan that mixes anaesthesia with PHEM!

“NGH has a history of supporting colleagues with a pre-hospital interest - several of the emergency department consultants do the same sort of thing. So whatever your interest is, I would encourage you to come and speak to the departments here as hopefully we can support you to achieve your perfect job too.”

Jon Birks, consultant anaesthetist/PHEM specialist

Siobhan's Story

Siobhan Abrahams2

Siobhan Abrahams, advanced clinical pharmacist, became our first pharmacist to be based in our emergency department when she joined our team in 2016. She’s passionate about driving forward improvements in our pharmacy service and sees the pharmacy element as a crucial role in the care team around the patient. Siobhan’s other passion is rugby and she’s been providing rugby first aid for 10 years for Buckingham and Chinnor rugby clubs, The Royal Latin School and Wasps AASE development squad. 

“I deal with issues ranging from pre-match preparation - including managing long-term conditions like asthma - right through to the on-field injuries.  Looking after youth teams, I also do a lot of 'reassuring' (food poisoning is usually pre-match nerves!). 

“One of the advantages of working here is the workforce who have been so supportive of my rugby work – it helps that Northampton is a rugby-mad town! Colleagues have been happy to swap shifts or cover my ward, especially recently when my team played at Twickenham.  Having colleagues as a knowledge base is also invaluable as backup and support.”
Siobhan Abrahams, A&E pharmacist/rugby first aider


Tom's Story 


Emergency medicine consultant Tom Odbert has been volunteering with Magpas Air Ambulance since 2013. Tom is one of many of our doctors who have benefited from our relationship with Magpas with both trainee and consultant doctors working for both organisations for many years.

We’ve recently agreed a bespoke work plan for Tom which sees us paying for his time with Magpas because we place so much value on the skills and expertise Tom’s developing in that role.

“Initially the hospital is paying for my time at the charity - because of the valuable extra skills and experience which I gain working with Magpas which are transferable to my hospital practice - to demonstrate commitment to developing innovative and sustainable consultant job plans, and to help fund the pre-hospital emergency cover provided to the people of South Eastern Northamptonshire. 

“Subsequently the charity will take over the funding of my time with the charity, because they value the consultant-level skills I bring to the charity and the supervisory capacity I undertake with the trainee doctors.      

“I enjoy working with the charity due to the immediacy of patient contact, the high level training and teamwork, and the benefits we can deliver by both simple and complex medical interventions in an often challenging environment. 

“I also enjoy the opportunity of both receiving and delivering really high quality training, lots of which is simulation based, and for some of it people travel from all over the country to attend.” - Tom Odbert, emergency medicine consultant/Magpas helimedix doctor

Interested in finding out more about opportunities to work with the fantastic team at Magpas Air Ambulance? Watch this video to find out more about the professional and personal rewards of getting involved:



Further information

To view and apply for any of our current vacancies, visit the NHS Jobs website

For enquiries relating to medical and dental staff (doctors), contact our medical staffing team

For enquiries relating to all other job roles, contact our HR service centre


Back to Top