Visiting restrictions eased at Northampton and Kettering General Hospital
From Saturday 19 February 2022 both Northampton General and Kettering General Hospital’s will be partially lifting visiting restrictions for patients who do not have COVID-19.
Visiting rules from Saturday 19 February:
- One visitor will be allowed to visit for one hour per day on open adult inpatient wards. Visits must be pre-booked with the ward in advance, and visitors will need to have evidence of a negative lateral flow test
- Anyone visiting the hospital must wear a face covering at all times unless they are exempt and must regularly wash or gel their hands
- Visiting on wards closed due to COVID-19 and visits to patients with COVID-19 are not permitted, unless there are exceptional circumstances
- Visiting will be at the discretion of the nurse in charge for wards with more vulnerable patients. This includes Talbot Butler and Finedon wards at NGH and Lilford ward at KGH.
- Visiting in outpatient areas, Emergency Departments, urgent care and diagnostic appointments will be at the discretion of the nurse in charge.
- Maternity and paediatric visiting remains open in line with national guidance.
- Paediatric visiting remains as, one resident parent at a time. Parents are required to take a lateral flow test before they arrive. Parents can swap once during their stay.
- For maternity visiting women can have one birth partner attend during their stay whilst in labour subject to a lateral flow test. The post-natal wards have set visiting times and partners are required to provide a negative lateral flow test result before visiting. Birth partners can attend all appointments relating to pregnancy including scans and throughout labour. Your birth partner can also attend the ward by appointment only.
Fiona Barnes, Interim Director of Nursing at Kettering General Hospital explained: “We know that COVID-19 is still present in our local community, and it is still important to be vigilant and follow infection control guidance. However, we also recognise that it’s beneficial for our patients to be able to see and spend quality time with their loved ones. Therefore, we are delighted to be lifting some of our visiting restrictions in a phased approach. This will support our patients to benefit from time with their loved ones but ensure our patients, visitors and colleagues are kept safe”.
The hospitals will continue to review visiting guidance based on COVID-19 rates in the community and any changes to national guidance. Visitors are advised to check with the ward or check hospital social media channels prior to departure as restrictions may change at any time.
Debbie Shanahan, Interim Director of Nursing, Midwifery and Patient Services at Northampton General hospital added: “Our teams have been working incredibly hard throughout the pandemic and we want to thank our local community for their continued support. It is never an easy decision to limit visiting and it has been a challenging time for our patients, their loved ones and our teams at KGH and NGH. We would like to say thank you to our community for their understanding during this time, and also thank our volunteers and colleagues for their help in keeping patients and loved ones in touch using video and phone calls and letters”.
If you have any symptoms of COVID-19 please do not visit the hospital unless you need medical care. Free lateral flow tests can be ordered from the Government website.
Posted on Friday 18th February 2022